Formlabs regularly releases updated firmware to fix bugs and improve functionality. Learn how to update your Form 2's firmware.
To update the firmware on a Form 2, use PreForm to download the latest firmware version, and then upload and install the firmware file on the printer. Review the PreForm and firmware release notes to learn more about the improvements that come with each version's release.
1. Open PreForm.
2. Open the File menu and select “Printers…”.
3. Select the serial name of the printer you would like to update.
4. Select “Update Firmware”.
5. Follow the onscreen instructions to download the latest firmware and then upload the file to the printer. To upload firmware, the printer must be connected to the computer via USB or the printer must be wired to a local Ethernet network.
6. The printer may automatically recognize you have sent a firmware update. Press the Continue button on the Form 2's touchscreen to finish the installation. If you are not prompted to select Continue, open the Settings tab on the printer's touchscreen and select “Firmware Update”.
7. After the firmware update installs, confirm the system restart on the touchscreen or wait 30 seconds for an automatic restart.
Touchscreen Freezes During or After Firmware Update
If the touchscreen freezes during or after the firmware update, perform a power cycle to restart the Form 2. To power cycle the printer:
- Unplug the printer.
- Wait at least 30 seconds to ensure a complete power cycle.
- Reconnect the power cable to restart the printer.
Not Enough Space Error
If the Form 2 reports insufficient space to install a firmware update, selectively delete one or more prints from the print queue. To delete all prints on the Form 2, open the touchscreen's Settings menu, then select Storage.
Decryption Error / Unable to Update Firmware
If the Form 2 is unable to complete an automatic firmware update, or displays a decryption error, perform a manual firmware update using PreForm.
Before performing a manual firmware update, complete the following:
- Download and update to the latest version of PreForm.
- Download the latest firmware available from the Formlabs Software release notes. Firmware files are in the .formware file format.
To perform a manual firmware update:
- Launch PreForm.
- In the menu bar, click File > Printers... to open the "Printers" list.
- In the "Printers" list, click on the printer's serial name to reveal a drop-down menu.
- Click "Update Firmware" to open the "Firmware Update" box.
- In the "Firmware Update" box, click "Select File" to open the "Select Downloaded Firmware" dialog box.
- Select the recently downloaded firmware file from the Downloads folder or other chosen location. Click "Open" to begin uploading the firmware file onto the Form 2.
- Once the firmware upload is complete, follow the prompts on the Form 2 touchscreen to finish the installation and reboot the printer.
If the manual update fails, perform a factory reset.